Speights School Charity
Speight's School Charity is a small trust originating from 1734, when John Speight left a piece of land in the Parish of Donington in his will for the benefit of the children of Burton-le-Coggles. His specific intention was that a school be set up and the children should be instructed in the Old and New Testaments. He also willed that a plaque be put up in the Church in Burton-le-Coggles. For more about this lovely old Church, click here.
Around 1830, with Sir Montague Cholmeley, Bt. and the Revd. Sir George Burrard as Trustees, the land was let at £22 per annum to John Shilcock, which was "considered a fair rent". The rent was passed onto the Schoolmaster of Burton-le-Coggles School, who was appointed by the Trustees, and was to be used for the education of the poor of the village. His salary was topped up by another Charity, that of Catherine Cholmeley from 1773, which added another £9 per annum. At that time there were 13 boys and 9 girls who benefitted from the Trust. The children paid for their own books. There was originally no school-room but Sir Montague Cholmeley built one in the early 19th Century, which the Schoolmaster kept in repair. Today this forms two cottages on the Easton Estate, the village school having been closed in the 1980s.
By 1856 both Sir Montague Cholmeley and the Revd. Burrard had died, and, under the Terms of the Trust, the new Trustees were Sir Montague's son, also Sir Montague, and the Revd. Alfred Allen. The Schoolmaster was now John Hawley. The rent remained at £22 per annum.
Up until its closure, the Trustees continued to donate monies to the school in Burton-le-Coggles, and have more recently made donations for suitable purposes from which the children of the village might benefit.
The Trustees remain, as under the Terms of the Trust, the successors of the Lord of the Manor and the Rector of the Parish. Other Trustees from the Parish have also been appointed.
Each year, up to £250 per applicant is available for the promotion of religious education of children. The Trustees have recently agreed that the offer of funds should be made available to parishes other than that of Burton-le-Coggles. As a consequence parishes which are members of the North Beltisloe Group, as well as those which border Burton-le-Coggles, are welcome to apply for funds. For a list of eligible Parishes, please click here.
In recent years, the Charity has given away over £8,000 in grants and those benefitting include Ropsley Primary School; The King's School in Grantham; Ingoldsby Primary School; Colsterworth Primary School; Bourne Academy; Great Ponton Primary School; and Kesteven and Grantham Girls' School, among others.
If you would like to apply for funds, please fill in an application form (download here) and return it to the address shown on the form.
If you would like to contact the Trustees, please email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Sir Fred Cholmeley, Bt.; Alistair Troughton, Esq; Revd. I.R. Walters; Revd. S. Buckman
Perennial Gardening Charity
Easton Walled Gardens are proud corporate supporters of Perennial - the gardening charity that has been helping people in the horticultural industry since 1839.